Saturday, January 21, 2012

Research Reflections

My reflections on the videos Shift Happens-Social Media Revolution and Vision 2011-Tech impact on Education

I am amazed and excited to see where technology is going these days.  The effect it can have in the classroom was certainly an eye opener.  We can stay connected with our students outside of the classroom and when they move on to highschool and longer.  Here are some significant statisitics that will effect my philosphy of education and my role as an educator.

Facebook right now would be the 3rd largest country.  Connection to research, news, media, peers is right at our fingertips.  The role that would play in the classroom are astounding.  I believe that we are able, through technology, to educate our students more productively.  We can find material and research faster and it can be presented in various ways.  There are a variety of ways people learn, they typically fall into one of these categories: hands-on, visual, or auditory learn and technology covers them all.  One thing that worries me about social media is that sometimes relationships can be fake,  my status update does not define me as a person.  I think we need to find a fair balance between the two!  There is no doubt that there are many valuable resources to be found through technology and transforming the way we learn.  I embrace technology and what it has to offer, but it may be nice to send a letter in the mail every once in while :)

1 comment:

  1. Appreciated your thoughts on the precautions one needs to consider regarding social networking. The other interesting reflection was the age at which 'you' were exposed to technology, vs the age of children who use smart phones, iPod Touches, video-gaming, lego projects on the internet, etc.

    ReplyDelete